Auditions for the Music Program
As a music major at LIU Brooklyn, you’ll have the opportunity to learn from a diverse group of professional musicians who live, work, and perform in New York City and the surrounding area – the entertainment and music mecca of the world. Students may choose from a major in classically oriented traditional music or jazz. You can also tailor your course of study to include other concentrations such as media arts, education, or business. In all programs, a strong academic foundation is provided by the diverse core curriculum of LIU Brooklyn and the Performing Arts Department is dedicated to cultivating disciplined, creative, and intelligent musicians.
The next LIU Brooklyn Music Program Audition is scheduled for Friday, February 19, 2016.
For those students who are not able to attend on campus auditions, a CD recording of the required repertoire may be submitted.
You can register to audition by mailing this printable version of the registration form.
Professional attire is expected.
You will be asked to perform or complete the following:
· Three memorized songs of contrasting style and tempo
(For example: classical, standards, jazz, or selections from The American Popular Songbook)
· A brief theory quiz for placement
· Sight reading skills and scale recognition
Please bring the following to your audition:
- Sheet music of each of the pieces you will be playing or singing, in the key in which you will be performing them (so that a pianist may accompany you);
- CD accompaniment
- All equipment necessary for you to perform
- Quarter inch cable (for electric instruments needing to be amplified)
- Mouthpieces and reeds (for brass and woodwind instruments)
- Strings and picks (for guitars and stringed instruments)
- Drum sticks and brushes (for drummers and percussionists)
Any questions or concerns contact the Associate Professor of Music and Acting Music Coordinator, Samuel Newsome at 718-488-1051 or by email at Samuel.Newsome@liu.edu.