B.F.A. Portfolio Requirements
The portfolio is the most meaningful indicator of serious artistic commitment, ability, and potential to succeed in LIU Brooklyn’s studio environment. Your artwork reflects your motivation and self-discipline, your intellectual curiosity, your current level of skill, and your previous experience in the visual arts. Please review the required steps for submitting your portfolio for review for admittance into the BFA programs carefully.
Applicants should submit a university application prior to submitting their artwork. Your portfolio should highlight your abilities; therefore, only show your best and most recent work.
- Submit 15 to 20 samples of your best work. You may submit a combination of works from drawing, painting, printmaking, sculpture, glass, photography, and design that represents your strengths. At least five of the pieces must be drawings from direct observation – no drawings from memory, fantasy, or drawings from photographs.
- All work should demonstrate your command of elements of visual language, including composition, line, form, and color.
- Your portfolio should demonstrate your craftsmanship skills, your conceptual skills, and your commitment to visual communication.
- Not everything in your portfolio has to be finished work but your drawings should show valuable information about how you see, how you work, and how you think.
- When submitting original work, do not mat your work.
Portfolio Submission – E-Mail
- Please e-mail Hilary Lorenz at Bob.Barry@liu.edu for information on uploading your work to DropBox.
- Links to a personal website featuring your work is also permissible. Please e-mail your links to Bob Barry with the subject heading “Visual Arts Portfolio from Prospective Student.”
Portfolio Submission – Postal Mail
- You may submit your work in hard copy or as digital images on a CD-R or DVD-R.
- Submit digital photographs of your work as .jpg files. Organize all digital images into a single digital folder and label your disc with your name, address, phone number, and e-mail address.
- Hard copy portfolios will not be returned, so do not send your only copy.
- Carefully package your CD or DVD and mail to:
LIU Brooklyn | Attention Christina Sutton | H-423 | 1 University Plaza | Brooklyn, NY 11201.
- Delivery confirmation is strongly recommended.