Certified Electronic Health Record Specialist CEHRS Summer 2016
The Health Information Technology for Economic and Clinical Health Act (HITECH Act) legislation was created in 2009 to stimulate the adoption of electronic health records (EHR) and supporting technology in healthcare organizations in the United States. The HITECH stipulated that after 2015 healthcare providers who failed to show "meaningful use" of EHRs would be penalized. Because adoption has been slow, compliance was postponed until 2018. Healthcare providers will need to have implemented the use of EHRs and staff will need to be trained in “the application of information processing involving both computer hardware and software that deals with the storage, retrieval, sharing, and use of health care information, data, and knowledge for communication and decision making.” (HHS Office of the National Coordinator for Health IT (ONC)).
The Certified Electronic Health Record Specialist (CEHRS) Course, is designed to provide healthcare providers and their staff with the training to attain the National Health Career Association’s certification as an electronic Health Records Specialist.
In this 12-week course (8 hours weekly for a total of 96 contact hours) the student will learn how to:
- Audit patient records for compliance
- Abstract clinical information for reports
- Perform basic coding to submit reimbursement claims
- Process Release of Information (ROI) requests for medical records
- Review patient records to ensure completion and accuracy
- Collect patient demographic and insurance information
- Discuss patient information with physicians and insurance professionals
- Prepare for the CEHRS certification exam given by NHA(National Healthcare Association)
Entry Requirements: High School Diploma or HSE.
Full Program Tuition: $1175
Textbook and related exam fees not included in tuition.
Required Text #58; Electronic Health Records: Understanding and Using Computerized Medical Records Plus MyHealthProfessionsKit Access Card Package, 2nd Edition by Richard Gartee
Schedule: Class CEHRS-Thurs/ Fri-5:30-9:30pm-August 2016 TBA
Classes will take place in the SPCS computer lab at 9 Hanover Place.
Instructor: Dr. Anand Kuruvilla (current adjunct professor in Biology and Surgical Technology).