Online courses at Long Island University involve extensive interaction with technology that is supported by the Internet. In order to have the best possible online learning experience, your computer or laptop must meet certain minimum hardware and software requirements. Additionally, students must have course-specific hardware and software as indicated below.
Students are expected to be proficient and able to perform basic computer functions including e-mail, internet browsing, download/installation of software, word processing, file saving, file management, and backup.
PC/Mac Hardware Requirements:
- 1GB of RAM
- 20 GB of Available Hard Disk Space
- Broadband Access (Cable Modem/DSL)
Required Software for all courses:
Requirements for Introduction to GIS (GIS 501):
Requirements for Introduction to Computer Programming (GIS 502):
Required Software for Mobile Geographic Application Development for iOS (GIS 503):
Required Software for Mobile Geographic Application Development for Android (GIS 504):
Required Software for Geographic Web Application Development (GIS 505):
- Windows 7 or greater (PC) or Mac OSX 10.7 or greater (Mac)
- For GIS 503, an iPhone or iPad is recommended but not required.
- For GIS 504, an Android device is required. (Devices with GPS are available for as little as $200. The instructor will provide technical advice upon request.)
Prospective students with questions or concerns regarding these computer requirements should speak with a Program Director before applying to the program. If you have any questions about technology requirements, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.