Annual Employee Training
Employees participate in annual training to promote inclusive excellence and belonging for the entire community. Annual training focuses on diversity and inclusion, managing bias, and harassment and discrimination prevention.
The university engages in hiring practices that support diversity, equity, and inclusion for all employees.
Student Leadership Training
Student leadership participate in annual training to promote inclusive excellence and belonging for the entire community. Training on social and racial justice, equity, inclusion, and belonging is conducted annually with the Division of Student Affairs.
Provide a community that celebrates diversity, equity, inclusion, access, opportunity, innovation, confidence, trust, respect, caring, and relationship-building. These organizations and opportunities are highlighted in Presence, the student engagement platform for the university.
Cultural Event Celebrations
The University celebrates a diversity of thoughts, identities, experiences, and backgrounds through cultural events and themed months throughout the academic calendar.
Educational Workshops and Conversations
Hosted for all students through student dialogue series and panels to participate on a variety of topics on Diversity, Equity, Inclusion, and Belonging
Student Course on Sexual Harassment and Assault Prevention
At the foundation of every positive student experience is a safe and healthy learning environment. Students at Long Island University receive a course on sexual harassment and assault prevention that include topics on values and relationships, sexual harassment and assault, consent and coercion, reporting and responding to survivors, empathy, resources and strategies for students.
Faculty Diversity Initiatives
Academic Affairs fosters inclusiveness through professional development, lectures, resources and networking opportunities.
2022-2023 LIU COMMUNITY TRAININGS
Training and Workshop Series
The Chief Diversity Officer invites all faculty, administrators, and staff to participate in DEI workshops throughout the academic year. To register for an event, click here.
- November 7 | 2 p.m. – 3:30 p.m. | Academic Advising
- November 18 | 11 a.m.-12:30 p.m. | Microaggressions & Unconscious Bias
- November 30 | 3-4:30 p.m. | Race Relations on Campus
- December 9 | 11 a.m.-12:30 p.m. | Create Inclusive Classroom Environments
- January 25 | 2-3:30 p.m. | Equity in Student Staff Hiring Practices
- February 3 | 11 a.m.-12:30 p.m. | Gender Discrimination
- February 8 | 3-4:30 p.m. | Mental Health Equity
- February 17 | 11 a.m.-12:30 p.m. | Campus Police & Front Line Responders
- February 22 | 3-4:30 p.m. | Use an Equity Lens in Assessment Work
- March 3 | 11 a.m.-12:30 p.m. | Equity-Based Career Services
- March 8 | 3-4:30 p.m. | Microaggressions & Unconscious Bias
- March 17 | 11 a.m.-12:30 p.m. | Create Inclusive Classroom Environments
- March 22 | 3-4:30 p.m. | Race Relations on Campus
- March 31 | 11 a.m.-12:30 p.m. | Gender Discrimination